Saturday, July 19, 2008

Thing #15 - library 2.0

It's many things to many people--oh, how right you are!
What does it mean to you? It is so much stuff that I am always swimming upstream while others seem to be easily commenting and completing each "thing".
I do believe that libraries have to change to be able to continue to provide "services" to patrons. A library can no longer expect to be the oasis of quiet it has been in the past. I agree that librarians have to meet their patrons wherever they are--home, class, work, play. Collections need to evolve to include library 2.0 sites and computer access for patrons.
What does it mean for school libraries? School libraries will have a harder time of changing due to teacher/administration resistance. In school districts there are too many restrictions from filters, firewalls, policies, and "red-tape" in providing all these tools 2 use. I really hope that my school district will allow flickr, del.icio.us, etc.
Students do spend more time online than in books. I loved the teachertube video from KSU. How clever and right on!

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

You are such a web 2.0 hipster, don't be modest. I LOVE delicious, and I know you will too. Now you can organize all of your wonderful links and never have to look for them again!